Sunday, August 13, 2006

Orange Car

A few years ago, when Simi had just turned two and it was getting close to Christmas, we asked Simi if he wanted to ask Santa Claus for anything special. Simi nodded his head and said he wanted an orange car.

An orange car? Both Raj and I thought that was an odd request. We waited a few days or a week or so, then asked him again. Same response. We waited longer and then asked him again. Same response.

By that time, it was nearly Christmas. I ran out to Toys R Us in search of an orange car. I browsed the match box section - no orange cars. I looked through the working vehicles. No orange cars. I scoured the entire store -- and finally found one orange car. It was a scaled-down model replica of the #20 Home Depot NASCAR car. I bought it, wrapped it up and put it under the tree for Simi to find in the morning. Simi was thrilled. He liked all the other toys, but the orange car is what he really wanted.

Fast forward nearly three years. Today, that orange car is still one of his favorite toys. And lately Simi's been watching NASCAR on the television. He jumps up and down whenever he sees his #20 car on the track.

I wonder if NASCAR is a clean sport. Do the drivers dope like they do in track & field and cycling? Anyone know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably not. If they did any drugs or other crazy things, they'd have trouble driving and could get in to accidents. Only a crazy person would choose to do drugs before driving those cars. That's just my thinking.