Friday, August 15, 2008

Pre-School Graduation

Today was Asher's last day of pre-school. He starts kindergarten soon.

At Asher's pre-school, they have a small graduation ceremony just before lunch. They craft a graduation cap out of cardboard and tape and make a tassel from thin rope. They create a diploma and the head of the pre-school and the teachers sign it. Then, during circle time, Asher was called up and each child said a few words to him. He received his diploma. Then everyone gave him a great big hug. Then he got to have his last lunch in the big cafeteria. Now, next time he returns, it'll be as a visitor.

We didn't prepare Asher as well as we should have for the transition. I mean, he knew that he was leaving and going to kindergarten. But we didn't tell him until yesterday that he would be graduating today. And we didn't put it together for him that today would be his last day - never to return. Truthfully, I didn't put it together in my head either. It took me by surprise too. I didn't prepare any thank you for his teachers. And now I feel absolutely crappy about that. I know I can go back and do something - and I will. But it's not the same.

But back to Asher: We told Asher this morning that today was his last day. He got very sad and said that he wanted to graduate -- and then go back. He wants to stay in preschool. He has so much fun there. He has all his friends there. He wants to stay.

I'd like him to stay too. He's not ready for kindergarten. But those are the rules.

Back to Asher again: He had a wonderful graduation ceremony. He had a wonderful lunch. Then, when Simi came home from school, the two of them got to play at Chuck E. Cheese to celebrate.

And now, ready or not, Asher's on his way to kindergarten.

No comments: