Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fools

When I was in the Peace Corps, I drove a motorcycle. I remember the months before I got that motorcycle. I had to walk miles - each way - from my house to my job. And it was hot. Many times I got a ride because lots of guys wanted to have "the american" on the back of their bikes. Then it was a hassle getting rid of the ride. And when I had to go to town to buy food or get my mail, it was a day-long trip in a crammed "gua-gua". So, I was thrilled when I learned that Peace Corps was going to provide me with a motorcycle.

I chose a Honda 100. They had Honda 125s, but they were so tall (or my legs were so short) that my feet couldn't reach the ground. I loved that Honda 100. It was similar to a motocross bike and went everywhere. I took that bike on goat paths, across rivers, up mountains - you name it. Without a doubt, it changed my Peace Corps experience.

Now, in the Dominican Republic, where I lived, it was HOT. I'm not joking. I lived in the desert part of the DR and it routinely got to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Although in the winter it got "so cold" that you had to wear long sleeves while riding the motorcycle at night. Brrr. Anyway, it was so hot that I'd want to wear lightweight clothing - and as little of it as I could possibly get away with.

Thing is, I'm riding a motorcycle. And since one just never knows when an accident is going to happen, the best thing to do is "be prepared". So...I wore jeans while riding that bike. Thick jeans. Yes, it was hot. Those jeans saved my legs from tons of stuff that could have happened. Like, when I fell off my bike while climbing a goat path. Or when someone ran into me at an intersection. I'm glad I wore those jeans.

Although I LOVED that motorcycle, I'd NEVER ride one in the US. People drive faster here. I think it has to do with the fact that we have paved roads and highways. Thing is, if you fall off your bike while driving these big speeds, you can get REALLY hurt. And the big cars in the US don't see motorcycles, so they cut you off. Even now that the price of gas is prohibitively expensive, I would never even consider getting a motorcycle. Folks who ride motorcycles say that it's not a matter of IF, but rather WHEN, that accident is going to happen. That money that you save on gas doesn't do you ANY good if you get killed or seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. It's just not worth the risk.

But imagine my surprise when, the other day, I saw a young lady riding a motorcycle dressed in a light summer dress. She was on the city streets near Duke - where traffic cuts in and out and all over the place. The wind blew up her dress and showed her panties to the entire world. Aside from the obvious, I couldn't help but think that she's risking an awful lot of road rash when the inevitable fall happens. I'm sure that lots of drivers took their eyes off the road when she passed by - further increasing the risk of a crash. She did nothing to change my impression of Duke students - but that's a different blog entry for a different day.

So, folks, if you're going to ride that motorcycle, be sure to protect your skin and body as much as you can. Keep in mind that it's very difficult for folks in cars to see you - so you have to be prepared. And don't forget the helmet. Or better yet, get an economical vehicle with a good mpg rating. Some things are just not worth the risk.

No comments: